Saturday 10 August 2013

MegapirateNG vs. MultiWii

I've been reading up on forums on the progress of future releases for the MegaPirateNG code base. To my astonishment I soon found out that the main maintainer behind MegaPirateNG left the project to join the ArduPilot team. This means that currently MegaPirateNG isn't developed. A small project fork all tho seem to have been done by some enthusiasts. This is called megapirateng-add-ons ( https://code.google.com/p/megapirateng-add-ons/ ) and is a beta into MegaPirateNG 2.9.1. Some folks claim its superb while some clam it has serious bugs. Others tell to look into the MultiWii code base instead.

Today I tried out the MultiWii 2.2 code, which is the latest in it's branch. From the first look and feel, it feels like the quad is handling a lot more stable. This is before touching any PID parameter configurations. I've done some level flights and it feels really stable. I haven't figured out if it's possible to configure the controller to decelerate the quad on releasing any of the pitch or roll controls, which MegaPirate did by default. That behavior is very helpful for beginners.

The guide I used to get going with MultiWii can be obtained from this forum thread:
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=411.0

This is my current configuration and a look at the MultiWii configuration program.
One detail I found very useful is the fully configurable mode selector. This can be used to combine several features to build your own flight modes instead of having to use any vendor supplied modes.
My configuration states that not using AUX1 should result in a level (angle) flight. Using AUX1, level, barometer to hold altitude, magnetometer to hold heading and GPS to hold position should be used. AUX3 is used in a similar fashion but invoking GPS return to home instead.

It's thereby possible to combine any of these features in any desired way. Further explanation can be obtained at the MultiWii wiki page.

Stay tuned for more information as I go along. I will try to test out the GPS return to home function rather soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment