Thursday 25 July 2013

RTL fly away...

Yesterday I went away to find a field large enough to do some serious RTL (return to launch) and navigation testing. This requires space without trees too close. I found some nice fields and started testing. I successfully tested both RTL and three way point navigation before my last RTL went sour...

I flew quite far away as I previously had done and hit the RTL. The normal procedure then is for the quad to gain height to 15 meters, which is default. Then head to its home position and descend to about 3 meters and loiter. This time, instead of turning towards home, it started drifting to the left. I quickly intervened to save the quad by counter steering rightwards. The quad then rotated 90-180 degrees making the direction impossible to see from this distance and disappeared behind those trees according to the drawing. I then ran towards the highway and never saw it again.


I've since then been covering the grounds around the point where it disappeared for about 8 hours in total, checking trees and the ground where it might have crashed without result.

It might have kept going in that direction ending up on the other side of the field as the program does not include anything about landing, but keeping 15 meters until the destination has been reached. It might also have taken a short trip on the field, then turned around ending up somewhere else. I still think the highest possibility is that it sitting in one of those trees along the highway.

Later today or tomorrow, I'm going to print posters asking people to contact me if they find my quad. Hope that gives some results. At this point, I don't think I can afford a new one, which leaves me with a pile of spare parts that will not be used..

No comments:

Post a Comment