Thursday 18 July 2013

Ultrasonic range finder part II: how it works

The now famous URF (ultrasonic range finder) has a bit more to tell than I wrote in my last post. One of my big questions was how it would interact with the on-board barometer. As any technical person would understand, is that at some point there will be some kind of conflict as these sensors will indicate different measures.

The URF is rather exact but only has a range of five meters. The barometer on the other hand has unlimited range but isn't that exact. In fact, its quite noisy and differ +/- 1-2 meters.

My experience is that the flight controller handles this in the way that, if the URF indicates different than last measurement then, it's the current height. Otherwise, the barometer is used. This way the URF is disregarded if it's too far from any object and the barometer takes over but also acts as an anti-collision sensor when coming in proximity to the ground.

What I'm still to experience is: What happens if the quad flies over trees? The barometer may indicate 20 meters, while the URF suddenly indicates 3 meters. What happens if it's programmed to hold at 20 meters? Does the quad bounce up 17 meters further? Interesting question.

Issues that I've experienced installing the sensor is that on my device, the Echo and Trigger labels are the wrong way around. On the flight controller that I'm using, the Multiwii MegaPirate board I'm supposed to connect echo to pin 9 and trigger to pin 10. That didn't work unless I connected them the other way around ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment